Sunday, August 24, 2008

Aug. 23, 2008 - Day ????? - Fayed Up

So its been forever since I've posted. More has happened in the last 2 months than can be appropriately summarized here. Its been more of the same roller coaster ride this year for me and the team. To make a long story short, there are 9 games left in the season and we are stranded in Mississippi waiting for Faye to pass through. We rained out last night and probably tonight as well. My girlfriend barely got out of Pensacola International yesterday, but she's home safe. She came to visit for 16 days including a road trip to Carolina (14 hour bus ride for me = 3 hour plane trip for her). Seeing her certainly made the DOG days of summer flow a little easier. This time of year is always tough for ball players. We've played over 100 games and every day is a bit of a struggle to stay focused and stayed amped for each new game. To make matters tougher, the end of the year is where you want to finish strong and get your stats in as good as shape as possible to carry you with some momentum into the offseason and next spring training.

For me personally, I've pitching with a new lower arm slot in an effort to become more deceptive and hopefully more effective. It seems to going well as I've noticed better movement and overall better results after the initial adjustment period. All in the name of getting to the next level and the big leagues. They say AA is the great separator. You have to prove you can pitch here to move on. There have been plenty of times this season where I've done that, but there have been other stretches where I have struggled. I feel strongly that if this adjustment continues to prove successful, it will do a lot to give me a chance to continue to move up next year.

I've also been scrambling to find offseason work. My employer last year (a painting sub contractor) informed me last month that business wasn't good enough to take me back on this offseason. However, I feel that may be a blessing in disguise because even though the money was good, it was back breaking work. I have decided instead to take an easier day job, most likely at the Nike Outlet I worked at during college. However, I've also decided plunge head first into my private pitching lessons which has the potential to truly prove more profitable than anything else. Not only that, I love teaching the lessons and it doesn't seem much like work to me.

I'm also busy wrapping up the loose ends with bills and moving out of the apartment. I have a great TV and coach/recliner set listed on Craigslist as we speak. More stuff to deal with just like any other minor leaguer.

But all that is getting ahead of myself. I will likely pitch a few more times and that happens to be the only thing that really counts. The other relievers and I joke that its not really August, but instead its April and we have a whole season ahead of us. Just an attempt to trick outselves into mid season focus and form.

Finishing strong and then returning to a slightly more normal life with the girlfriend and whatnot back at home....thats the goal for now.

Until Next Time

No comments: