Friday, January 25, 2008

Jan. 24, 2008 (Day 1) - Preparation

"Only try to control the things that you actually can control. Worrying about all that is beyond your control is nothing more than a waste of time."

I regret not being able to recall who provided me with the previous statement. Something I regard now as the single most valuable piece of advice I've ever been given. If I were to add an addendum to the above, it would be "And allow God enough room to take care of the rest." It rings true in all aspects of life, but especially, I've found, in my line of work, professional baseball.

Allow me to introduce myself. I am your typical, 24 year old, college graduate from southeastern Virginia who has been playing baseball since I was 5 years old. As a strong left handed thrower who enjoyed being in control of the game, I began pitching at the age of 10 and continued this venture through high school and benefited from a scholarship to a division 1 college. After my junior year, I was offered a free agent deal that paid for my last year of school that I eagerly took; thus beginning my professional career. With the help of dedicated parents, coaches, and an inescapable drive to work harder than the competition, I have been able to chase my childhood dream of becoming a Major Leaguer. Currently, I am about a month away from heading back to Arizona for my third spring training where, God willing, I will be given another shot at another level higher at reaching the ultimate stage. This year is particularly exciting, because I feel as if I am in what can best be described as a "make or break situation." I've spent one successful year each in low single A, and high single A, and now I have a legitimate shot at getting out of A ball and into what I hope is the more even playing field of AA or higher.

As I referenced earlier, I have adopted the opening paragraph as my mantra for handling all life has to offer. If I were to add a second sentence to the above sentiments, it would be "and allow God to take care of the rest." In that light, I am currently working full time for a painting subcontractor 45 hours a week. Every day, I get off at 4 and head directly to the indoor baseball facility where I spend at least 3 hours each evening (5 nights a week) teaching pitching lessons, lifting weights, throwing bullpens, working on my mechanics, hitting, doing bunting drills, and preparing myself in the most comprehensive way possible for spring training. All the while trying to maintain a healthy relationship with my beautiful girlfriend of over a year, bible study, church, and even a little time for some relaxing and guitar playing. The reason I work so hard is because I can. It is something I can control. I can't change how the organization feels about me or if I am throwing hard enough, (the never ending pursuit of 90 can be discouraging sometimes) but I can make a difference in my preparation for the next season. Anything less than being in the best, strongest, most prepared shape of anyone else is camp would be unacceptable for me. Obviously the odds of making it to the Bigs are lower than most jobs, but I feel fortunate to be in the situation I am in with my organization because I can still "see a path" to the majors for me. I would be doing myself a disservice by not doing everything within my power to prepare myself to be the best pitcher I can be.

So I leave you today with this, my first entry in the blog. I feel this blog will be as beneficial for me as it will be for my family and friends to track my progress. I think it will allow me to keep the long season in perspective and better "control what I can control." (my attitude, my work ethic, and my spirit). Over a 142 games, its easy to get too caught up in the moment. My single A manager said "never get too high on highs and too low on the lows. "

I will do my best to update the blog at least twice a month but my goal is once a week.

Stay tuned and God bless.

No comments: